Professional photos will help you get top dollar for your property, but even the best photos can’t mask a home that looks dirty or cluttered. Here are some things you can do to make your home look it’s best in photos:
underneath it all
- Sweep, vacuum, and/or mop
- Wipe dirt and smudges from walls & light switches
- Replace any burned out lightbulbs with bulbs of similar brightness & temperature
- Put dishes and dish racks away, clean sinks, make your faucets sparkle
- Clean the stovetop & microwave, remove any splatters from areas around it
- Remove all fridge magnets & wipe down kitchen appliances
- Declutter the kitchen counter. If your coffee maker or toaster oven are old and clunky, hide them
- Clear knick-knacks off shelves. If you have open shelving wipe it down & minimize items
- Make your bed, hide your laundry
- Tuck your toothbrush, shampoo, soap & toiletries out of view
- Clean the tub/shower, sink, toilet area, countertops & bathroom mirror
- Hide bathroom trash cans, toilet wands, shower mats, scales etc
- Hang fresh bath towels
- Clean dust build-up on forgotten areas like windowsills and light fixtures
- Put away chargers & hide cords
- Keep personal photos & personalized items to a minimum
- Edit & declutter
Put yourself in a buyer’s shoes, which one of these kitchens speaks to your wallet?
the great outdoors
- Tuck any rolling trash bins into a garage or other hidden area
- Remove hoses & stray garden tools
- Wipe down patio furniture, grills, and outdoor tabletops
- If possible, remove your window screens. Your home will look brighter, your views will look better, and your windows will look cleaner
- Clean the inside and outside of your windows
- Wipe dirt from your exterior door & frame areas & touch up any chipped paint around your entry
- Sweep dirt & debris from porches, sidewalks, and driveways. Pick up leaves & debris from yard areas. Shake off that doormat
- If you have grass keep it watered as photo day approaches to keep it green. Mow it 1-2 days before photos to keep it tidy.
- Remove cars from the driveway. If you live on a street where people sometimes park in front of your house its helpful if you can park there in order to hold the spot so that we may clear it for exterior shots
If hiring a cleaning crew sounds like a better option we’re happy to help suggest one & assist with scheduling.
Your home should take about 30 minutes to 1 hour to shoot. The property should be empty of pets & occupants. We’ll work with you to find a time that’s convenient for you to be out. If we’re doing twilight shots we’ll be back right before dusk – you don’t need to leave for those but the exterior should look generally the same as it did for the daytime shots.
Photoshoots are scheduled to capture your property at the most ideal time of day. We may want to take advantage of an empty street during street sweeping or shoot a room at a specific hour to avoid glare. If your home isn’t going to be ready at it’s scheduled time it’s ok, just let us know and we can work together to find a better time.
We know it’s a pain but trust us, all of this will help ensure the shortest amount of time on the market, more offers, stronger offers, and the highest price for your home.